The challenge posed to my mom for this blog was what would she make if her friend was just getting home from the hospital and she wanted to make something to help out while said friend got re-acclimated to homelife. This is what she said:
"My friend WAS in an accident and broke her wrist. I wanted to take her some stuff she could keep in the fridge/freezer and just pop in the oven or microwave, but I am SO tired of the usual winter stews and casseroles. It’s Spring! (Which means the dark gray rainy days are giving way to pale gray rainy days*) Thinking of that salad with the roasted pears, blue cheese and walnuts on leafy greens, I decided it would make a great hot dish. Stop with the “Eww, gross!” It’s much better than it sounds.
There’s a local fresh pasta company that makes a great caramelized pear and gorgonzola ravioli. While waiting for the water to boil for the pasta I cleaned, stemmed and chopped a bunch of red chard and sautéed it with some onion and garlic. While the pasta cooked I made a white sauce seasoned with sage and nutmeg and threw in a big handful of parmesan. I finished the chard with a splash of vermouth and some toasted walnut pieces. Then I finished a shaker of gin with a splash of vermouth…but I digress. When everything was done I layered it all like Garfield’s favorite food (trivia question!!**), strewed more parmesan and some chopped parsley artfully over the top, flung it in the oven and Bob’s your uncle***!"
So, my mom would make you a salad, in pasta form, if you broke a body part.
*As previously stated, my Ma lives in Seattle, land of rain, rain & more rain.
**ANSWER: lasagna
***Bob isn't really my uncle.
No comments:
Post a Comment